February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Interestingly enough, this is indeed a religious holiday. I know how shocking this must be to many of you. I know many of my Christian colleagues were unaware.

Originally, the holiday was created by the church in the year 496 AD. It was meant to be a celebration of love and affection between intimate companions. It was named after two saints, both named Valentine. Over the years, confusion among the general population confused the stories of the two saints enough where it was difficult to tell the differences between the men. In 1969, the celebration was officially removed from the Roman Catholic Calendar of Saints.

It is interesting to look into the saints that the holiday was named after. Neither was originally concerned with love or affection, as much as stories of sacrifice. It is not until Chaucer mentions Valentine's Day in the poem "Parlement of Foules." Before Chaucer, the holiday was a feast honoring the tow similarly named saints. After, it was connected to love and affection.

I, for my own celebration, did nothing. I have a habit of being single on Valentine's Day, so generally just do my normal thing. I worked, received some cards, and ate candy. Not that I wouldn't love to have someone special to share the day with, but you live with what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment